Sunday, September 28, 2014

[How To:] Manicure 101

Hi! Hi!
For this blog post, I decided to share with you all how I do my basic manicure. My basic nail care is fairly simple and not too fussy so even if you're new to nail care and manicures you should be okay with these steps (I hope,) 

Here's a collection of tools I use for my manicures. (L to R) 4 way nail tool, nail clippers, vaseline, Nail Polish Remover, Clear Nail Polish, cotton balls, Nail polishes and Hand cream. 


First thing is to remove all the old nail polish from your nails, mine look really gross because I have a habit of peeling my polish off. Make sure you do this thoroughly and take your time to remove all the polish. I find I always forget or miss a bit on the sides near my nail beds so make sure to remove it all so you have a clean, even base for your nail polish. 



The nail polish remover I use it from The Face Shop and it's one that's pink and smells like berries. They also have one that is purple and smells like lavender. I much prefer this scent to normal nail polish removers and I find this product doesn't cost much more nor work any differently for me. Sorry for the blurry picture as well, I couldn't for the life of me get the camera to focus on this product. 

All clean. 


Normally, after this I would use the nail clippers and trim my nails but I only did this the week before and I'm not really in need of a trim. I did break one nail during the week however so I'll need to fix that by filing it.
You may need to trim and file or just file. Some weeks you need to do both, some you can get away with only a file.


My advice for filing your own nails is to only go one way and not back and forth. This gives you a jagged edge however if you only go in one direction you get a nice smooth even edge which is what your after. 
There's lots of different nail shapes you can choose from, oval, square, round or stiletto. I personally like oval shape best. 
Try experimenting and seeing which one works best for your nails and hand shape if you're unsure which one suits you best. 

Step 2 is to buff your nails, just rub the surface of the buff side on your bare nails, this helps buff away uneven ridges and lines in your nails for smooth nail polish application. 


Like so. 


The next step is polish. I just buff my nails again like I did with step 2. This makes your nails smoother than the buff step.





On to the final step is step 4 which is shine. This step is my favorite because you can really see the results and all your hard work pay off. shine simply makes your nails shiny. 


Finally, shiny, even nails for you! If you don't have time to paint your nails or you can't paint them for whatever reason, you can stop here of course. I think if you don't wear nail polish, this is simple way to keep your nails nice looking and even. 



Now we can apply base coat. I'm using Essence Studio Nails in Pro White Hardener and it's okay. It was cheap so I can't complain. There's lots of different types of polish you can choose from on the market though and you should be able to find something that fits your needs easily enough. 
 Clear nail polish is done! For a base coat, I would suggest keeping the layer thin because you don't want to add unnecessary bulk to your nails.

Finally you can move onto colour - I'm using Jill Stuart in Love Fool from the Spring 2014 Thumbelina collection and it's a peach with a shimmer. But you can of course use any nail polish you wish. Remember every nail polish is different when it comes to dry times and even different colours in the same brand can be different. 


Tip: If you struggle with painting your nails and always paint your fingers, you can apply vaseline to your skin to prevent your nails to prevent the polish from drying to your skin. 
If you don't want to use vaseline, you can use some nail polish remover and a cotton bud or tissue to clean up the edges. 


So, you can paint your nails, for best application, apply, one coat down the middle of your nail, and then fill in the left and right sides respectively. I like to do two coats, making the first coat thicker than the second. 
Make sure to paint the tips of your nails as well, I find this prevents chipping and helps minimize wear and tear in the nail (for me personally, anyways) You only need to paint the tips once. With the top coat. 




All done! I added accent glitter to a few fingers as well. I think if you apply glitter, you're nails seem to chip less so try applying it to fingers you find chip easily. 

 I'm using this glitter.

Finally, apply top coat, it's best to apply a coat that is neither too thick or too thin. Try to apply something that is a happy medium. 

For best results apply a new coat of clear every other day to help prolong your nail varnish!



Tip: Try to avoid doing dishes, or wear gloves when you do dishes, I find dishes are the natural enemy of nails and will destroy your nails and nail polish. 

 
Finally, finish off with hand cream and you're done!
It seems really lengthy but I don't think painting your nails can be rushed - you have to take your time so try and find time to do it properly. 

I hope you found this post helpful!
Thanks for reading!!





SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Lol your Liz Lisa towel in the back! I love the polishes you used :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually use the towel to cover a rack/stand thing which is usually pretty messy XD It looks nice though so yeah. And thank you! I really like orange in Summer.

    ReplyDelete

© Lolita-next-door. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE HANDMADE BY pipdig