Friday, May 30, 2014

[Review] Dolly Wink 05 Shiny Silver

Hi! Hi!

 Today, I will review the Dolly Wink eyeshadow in 05 Shiny Silver
Normally, I'm always quite happy with Dolly Wink products and I own a few but I only own one Dolly Wink eyeshadow - one of the older ones from the first series so I was interested to try this one. 


 The packaging for the new series! It's cute but kind of simple.

On the package is says; It contains plenty of glitter and makes easy gradation. This is a must item for elegant dolly eye make. 


 The back of the packet.


 There's a small eye tutorial. This seems a bit unnecessary to me however.



The packaging is a burgundy colour - I'm not sure if this is new packaging or if it's just for the 04 and the 05 eyeshadow. I like the colour of it though.


 Back of the packet.


 The old eyeshdow is 03 (I think) Country Retro and 04 Shiny Silver. The design and size is exactly the same other than the colour and the Dolly Wink logo.

 There's a frosty silver colour which I use sparingly, a beige, a warm silver and a dark charcoal.

All the colours are quite sparkly.

I have to admit, normally, I do avoid silver eyeshadow because I'm very 'warm' toned and as a result I find silver to be too cool or 'frosty' and I always think it looks quite odd so when I got this item I was a little bit... scared but I don't think that this item looks too bad on me.


Swatches on my fingers the beige blends in with my skin XD
You can see it's really sparkly here. 


Swatched on my hand. You can see the first two colours are quite light.

Please remember that I'm no make up artist so application is not perfect. 


 Lenses here



Honestly, I think this palette is hit and miss over all.
A.) colour is very light and it's quite sheer but it's not bad to work with.
B.) colour is really nice because it suits my skin so well.
C.) This is probably the most versatile colour in the palette because you can use it lightly or build it up and make it a bit heavier in colour. It's a good colour to have in the palette.
D.) This colour I dislike the most, it's dark and hard to blend which I guess I expect from dark colours. When I went to wipe the make up off my hand (from the swatch) the dark colour was hard to get off (unlike the other colours which were removed easily,) but even though it's hard to blend, it's not unworkable it just takes a bit more effort than I would have initially liked.


I really like this palette and I think it wears really nicely over the course of the day, the colours faded on me but I wasn't really wearing a primer so I'm sure if you do that step then you might have a different result from me but I liked the way it looked because the colours become more subtle and blend together nicely which I originally found a bit hard with this eyeshadows overall. 
This palette is nice for both day time and night time looks. 
But thinking about it, I think maybe the D colour would work well as an eyeliner.
This palette is sparkly so it's no good if you don't like sparkles.
Despite the palette being hard to blend, the eyeshadows are still soft to the touch. 

Dolly Wink 05 Shiny Silver -

Pro: 
- Small size is perfect for travel and everyday use. Can bring it with you easily for touch ups or changing your look.
- Not a bad price online (if you shop around).
- Good colour variety for day and night time looks.
- Nice packaging. 
- Versatile colour combinations - works for a variety of looks from day to night.

Con: 
- A little difficult to find online still (not sold everywhere Dolly Wink is sold,) I've seen it on ebay however.
- Colour is a bit hard to blend and hard to work with.
- Not the best for someone who is new to make up. 
- Fades over the day.

Overall, I do like the palette but I think you need to play with it and find a way to work with it a bit but it's nice and worth looking into it your interested in a silver palette.
I'm looking forward to wearing these colours in winter.
I'd really like to try the shiny brown now because I do like sparkly eyeshadow.



I have to admit I actually was lucky enough to win this online in a giveaway so I didn't purchase it with my own money - but I'm glad I got the chance to try it because I would never have gone for the silver colour on my own.  

 Hopefully this review helps someone out there ^.^

Let me know if there's any other Dolly Wink products you like (I'm already a big fan of the liquid eyeliners as well,)

Thanks for reading!
Bunny.Berri

Disclaimer: I won this item in a giveaway but I was asked to do a review on it on dayre so I did but that doesn't change my opinion on the item at all.

SHARE:

9 comments

  1. Where would you place Dolly Wink products on the drug-store-to-high-end scale? (I'm just now getting more into makeup, so I have a hard time being able to tell what is "quality" and what is cheapo-depot.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, DollyWink is Japanese Drugstore brand so I guess I'll go with that but I guess it depends with how expensive it is for you where you live, because I know for me, it's definitely still drugstore prices but somewhere like USA it's quite expensive. :/ That being said, the eyelashes and the eyeliner are both amazing quality items and cult favorites and not 'cheap' at all. Overall, I've had good experiences with Dolly Wink. I hope that answer helps you.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that definitely helps! Thanks :D

      Delete
  2. I'm not really a make up person because I can't wear eyeshadow (ff my eyeshape) but great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks, and I think I have enough eyelid space for the both of us... ^.^

      Delete
  3. Thanks for doing this review! I never knew it had a burgundy colour, makes me think of the fall season! It's funny because 02 Pink Brown has a brown colour for it's packaging. The colours are absolutely gorgeous though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's burgundy? I haven't seen 01,02,03 so I can't compare if it's that different, but yeah, the silver is quite nice! I really want to try shiny brown!! I hope the review helped you anyways!!

      Delete
    2. Yes, yes it did! I may purchase shiny brown instead though since I don't wear grey eyeshadows often.

      I have 02 Pink Brown. I can show you a picture of it on Dayre if you'd like!

      Delete
    3. The grey is quite nice but if you get the brown - show it please!! I'd love to see it because I'm super interested in it. And that would be good!!

      Delete

© Lolita-next-door. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE HANDMADE BY pipdig